Perfect for a busy night, this Salsa Verde Chicken gives chicken some spice before it is baked in salsa verde and then topped with a melty slice of cheese. Dinner can be on the table in 30 minutes.
Can you believe that the summer is almost over and that it's already time to start talking about back to school? My kids go back to school in just a few short weeks and it's kind of blowing my mind how quickly this summer has gone by.
We all know that schedules can be more relaxed during the summer, and things are a lot more relaxed. During the majority of the year, we will have dinner between 5:00 and 6:00 every night. But during the summer? All of that goes out the window and we would often find ourselves sitting down to dinner at 7pm.
When school starts, though, I know that won't work anymore. We'll definitely be getting back to our regular schedule.
But if you have kids, you know that it's pretty much impossible to just jump right into a new schedule. So now is the time to start getting back on track and making a regular dinnertime a priority so that things don't feel like this huge change when school does start.
I know what you're thinking - but how am I supposed to get dinner on the table every night when we are still out having fun, enjoying the last of our summer? My answer is easy - keep it simple.
And it doesn't get more simple than this easy Salsa Verde Chicken, made with antibiotic free chicken from Walmart. Only a few ingredients, and less than 30 minutes. Boom. Dinner is served.
Ingredients For Salsa Verde Chicken
- Let's talk chicken. I pick up these Marketside Antibiotic Free Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts from Walmart. (Say yes to free grocery pick up - it is my saving grace all summer long!) I love knowing that Walmart has this healthier choice that I can feel good about serving to my family. Antibiotic free meats are also a great way to take a step towards making our food supply safer. Plus, did you know that Walmart carries other healthier protein choices, as well? They have solution free pork as well as Grass Fed Organic Ground Beef.
- The spices - salt, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder and pepper are all spices I always have on hand and use a lot.
- When you are making this dish, you need a salsa verde that you know you are going to love, and I love this Sam's Choice Salsa Verde from Walmart is so good. It's super flavorful and has just the right amount of heat.
- You've gotta have cheese! We are provolone lovers at my house, so that is what I use, but you could also use mozzarella or monterey jack if you prefer.
- The cilantro brings a bit of freshness at the end. I always love adding something to bring in a fresh element, and the cilantro compliments the meal perfectly.
HOW TO MAKE THIS SALSA VERDE CHICKEN
- If you are a regular follower here, you will know that I love to butterfly my chicken breasts open, making 2 thinner pieces of chicken out of each breasts. There are 2 reasons I love to do this - first, because you reduce the chance of drying out the chicken when you are cooking it. The chicken cooks fast and evenly and comes out a lot juicier. Second, because a whole chicken breast is usually too big of a portion for my kids. And for me. This smaller 4 ounce piece is a much better serving size. To see how I butterfly the chicken open, watch the video below.
- To make the Salsa Verde Chicken, you take your chicken and season it with the spices. Then you sear the outsides quickly in a hot, hot skillet. Pour the salsa verde over the top, then bake it until the chicken is cooked all the way through. Add the cheese right at the end so that the cheese will melt perfectly. Then just sprinkle on the cilantro when you are ready to serve!
What To Serve With Salsa Verde Chicken
My favorite way to serve this chicken dinner is over rice with sliced avocados. There is enough of the sauce left in the pan to have extra to soak into your rice. And the avocado adds this delicious creaminess. I have eaten with and without the avocado, and it's great both ways. But if I had to choose, I'd always choose the avocado!
PS - I also picked up these adorable plates at Walmart - from the Pioneer Woman line. Everything in the line is so fun, and these plates are fun yet classy I will be using these a lot for years to come!
I love everything about this chicken recipe - from the ease of preparation, to the boldness of the flavors, and also knowing that it is made with Walmart's antibiotic free chicken. This one will become a regular!
How to make Salsa Verde Chicken
Perfect for a busy night, this Salsa Verde Chicken gives chicken some spice before it is baked in salsa verde and then topped with a melty slice of cheese. Dinner can be on the table in 30 minutes!
- 2 Marketside Antibiotic Free Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (about 8-9 oz each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 jar (16 oz) Sams Choice Salsa Verde
- 4 slices Provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Sliced avocados and rice, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board, and with a sharp knife, butterfly each chicken breast open, then cut to create 4 thinner pieces of chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Sprinkle half of the seasoning mix on the tops of the chicken breasts, then flip over and season the second side with the remaining seasoning.
- Heat the olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet (I like to use cast iron) over high heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the chicken to the skillet. Cook for 1 1/2 minutes, then flip over and cook on the second side for another 1 1/2 minutes. Turn off the heat and pour the salsa verde evenly over the pieces of chicken. Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven, and cook until the chicken is cooked through, 8-10 minutes. During the last minute of cook time, add one slice of cheese to the top of each piece of chicken.
- Sprinkle the fresh cilantro over the finished chicken.
- Serve over rice with slices of avocado, if desired.
Nutrition information provided as an estimate only. Various brands and products can change the counts. Any nutritional information should only be used as a general guideline. Nutritional information not calculated for avocado or rice.