Edible chicks make the perfect toppers for these spring-theme cupcakes. The chicks are easily constructed out of snack cakes, truffles, and frosting.
Tucked into a chocolate frosting nest, these sweet chicks are perfect for parties, showers, Easter celebrations, and more! Consider making a few extra cupcakes topped with nests and filled with candy eggs to go along with your chicks.
What You'll Need:
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 batch Butter Frosting
- 12 Simple White Cupcakes, baked and cooled
- 6 cream-filled snack cakes
- 12 small round white chocolate truffles
- 3 orange chewy fruit-flavor squares
- 24 small round sprinkles
- Yellow food coloring
- Piping bag with coupler
- Piping tips: multi-opening tip and small star tip
- Melt the semisweet chocolate in the microwave, then let it cool until it is barely warm to the touch. Divide the frosting in half, and mix the semisweet chocolate into one half to make chocolate frosting. Color the remaining half with a few drops of yellow food coloring.
- Fit a piping bag with a coupler and a multi-opening tip. Fill the bag with the chocolate frosting. Pipe a swirl of frosting on top of the cupcakes, then go around the edge of the cupcakes several more times, building up the sides so that the frosting looks like a nest.
- Cut the cream-filled snack cakes in half. Press half of a snack cake into the center of each frosting nest.
- Fit a piping bag with a coupler and a small star tip. Fill the bag with the yellow frosting. For each snack cake, pipe small stars all over the cake until it is covered. Pipe a swoop onto each side of the cake for wings, and add a tail on top.
- Press a white chocolate truffle on top of each snack cake. Refrigerate the cupcakes briefly to set the frosting, which will give you more stability to finish decorating the chick's head. Once the frosting is firm, pipe yellow frosting stars all over the surface of each truffle.
- Cut orange fruit chews into four triangles each, and gently shape triangles with your hands until they are a beak shape. Press the candy beaks into the front of the chick's head, and finish by adding small round sprinkles for eyes.