A recipe for classic dirt dessert! This easy summer dessert features alternating layers of crushed Oreos and a chocolate pudding mixture. It is made to look like dirt, complete with (gummy) worms!
I tend to think I’m a “regular Joe” when it comes to the type of desserts that I enjoy. I am more a “handful of chocolate chips” type of girl than a spun sugar, fancy cake kind of girl. Many times, I crave what I loved when I was a kid.
This dirt dessert is one that I remember fondly. I distinctly remember eating it while visiting my parents’ friends during the summer. They had two daughters roughly the same age as me and my sister, and we all got together very often when I was little. My mom’s friend Karen would serve this in individual cups or faux flower pots to all of the kids. I thought it was the coolest thing, and I still appreciate all of the wonderful flavors as an adult. (I even !
- 1 (14.3-ounce) package Oreo Cookies
- 2 (3.9-ounce) packages instant chocolate pudding
- 4 cups (960 ml) milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ cup (57 grams) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (113 grams) powdered sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) container Cool Whip
- Gummy worms (optional)
- Crush the Oreo cookies into fine crumbs using a food processor (or, place the cookies in a resealable plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin); set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together both boxes of the instant pudding with the milk for about 2 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat together the cream cheese and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce the speed to low, add the powdered sugar, then gradually increase the speed back to medium until a fluffy texture is reached.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the cream cheese mixture into the chocolate pudding, then fold in the Cool Whip until completely combined.
- The dessert can be assembled in a number of ways – in a rectangular or square serving dish, in a trifle dish, or in individual cups. However you plan to serve it, layer the dessert with alternating layers of the crushed Oreos and pudding mixture, beginning and ending with the crushed Oreos. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours (or overnight) before serving. Decorate the top with gummy worms before serving, if desired.